With the grace of God, this year’s SYNDESMOS Retreat took place from 27 to July 29 at the Camp facilities of the Orthodox Metropolis of Korea in Chuncheon.
The central theme in which the attention of the participants was focused was: “Stable and immovable in Faith” (1 Cor 15:58). During the three-day sessions the following sub-topics were analyzed:
1. The heroic spirit of the Martyrs, which is an example of a stable and immovable faith. Reference was also made to the martyrdom of the 40 Martyrs of Sebasteia.
2. Faith is not a theory but experience. Action leading to theory, which means that the Orthodox ecclesiastical teaching and theology are based and founded on practice and on the experience of holiness.
3. The importance of the Invisible Warfare against evil thoughts and human passions.
4. How the doctrinal teaching of the Church can be put in daily practice. A reference to overcoming death through the teaching of the resurrection of the dead.
5. The doctrine of man’s Theosis is not accomplished by words about spiritual life, but with a life-long spiritual effort and spiritual struggle.
6. It is impossible to understand the Mysteries of the Church through human logic. However, the humanely impossible becomes possible with the power of Faith. Reference was also made to the Sacrament of the Divine Eucharist.